Saturday, July 29, 2017

"REAL. W3ird." Artist Spotlight - Florin Ion Firimita

Join us for the opening of "REAL. W3ird." on August 12 at Southington Community Cultural Arts!  - More Info HERE
"The Offering"
 Florin Ion Firimita

I am a visual artist, educator, and writer. My interest in image making could be traced back to my father’s amateur photo lab in Bucharest, Romania, where I was entrusted with mixing chemicals, developing film, and printing black-and-white images at the age of six.  A passion for drawing and painting started around the same time under the influence of my mother.

While holding jobs such as welder, grave digger, janitor, window decorator, and security guard -  drawing, painting, and photography kept me sane. In 1990, after the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Romanian Revolution, I escaped to the United States.  

My photography, mixed media work and my writing have been featured in hundreds of galleries and art magazines in Argentina, Portugal, France, England, and the U.S. In April 2017, a selection of my photographs was on display at the Museum of Modern Art in Paris.

“The Art of Leaving,” a documentary film about my art, was released in 2003. Based on almost 3,000 pages of journal entries, the film took three years to make and was the official selection of seven international film festival such as Santa Fe, Durango, New York, Chicago, and also Montreal’s 23rd Festival International du Film Sur L’Art. “Reliquary,” a novel based on my experiences, is scheduled for publication.

Between 1990 and 2017 I participated in over 300 exhibits. My artwork could be found in many collections in Europe, Australia, and the United States. In 2010, 2012 and 2013, at Carnegie Hall in New York City, Scholastic awarded me three national gold medals for art teaching and mentoring.

Today I divide my time between rural Connecticut and Europe. My photographic work is represented by the GADCOLLECTION Gallery in Paris, France.

More on the web: www.florinfirimita.com
"Presence"

No comments:

Post a Comment